Thursday, November 30, 2006

with love

There were times I thought he was bein'
Just a little bit hard on me
But now I understand he was makin' me
Become the man he knew that I could be
And everything he ever did
He always did with love

And when I feel alone
And I think I can't go on
I hear him sayin' "Son you'll be alright
Everything's gonna be alright"
Yes it is
--keith urban


my son and i are butting heads. again.

actually, "crashing skulls" may be a better descriptor. and it occurs to me that when he's older, he won't remember me saying, "son, you'll be alright. everything's gonna be alright."

instead it'll be, "what on earth were you thinking?!" and "you don't have a brain in your head."

i'm off message. time for a course change.

something.

4 comments:

Bon said...

What is it about fathers and sons?

Butting heads one minute, crashing skulls the next.

I see it all the time. And I wonder, why don't the two dogs take a minute to look at each other and see how much alike they are.

spaceneedl said...

that's just it, i know how alike we are...and i don't want him to be the way i was.

unfortunately, it seems to be in the genes.

Anonymous said...

My step-son is 5 and I have been his father figure going on 2 years now. We disagree on many a thing and he can be pretty difficult, but my appreciation for the hug and the kiss that I get from day to day is beyond measure. The fact that my wife tells me every once in a while that he referred to me as his dad is a glorious thing.

Your expectations are higher as they should be, but don't forget to be thankful for the love that you do get.

Bon said...

Of course, I didn't know you when you were the needl-let's age, but I know you now and you turned out pretty darn okay.

So let the boy be who he is. He's pretty cool too.

Sure, he'll do some idiotic things from time to time, but if he knows he's got a loving, supportive father (and mother too), those screw-ups will not only be self-teaching, they'll be fairly minimal in scale.

Oh yeah, like golfer boy says, appreciate the hugs and focus your fatherly work on attaining those!