Wednesday, December 14, 2016
|2016 in a box.|
1. the western washington fatass 25k is not a race--it's a "fun run." this year, part of the fun included a lot of snow on the trails, and an off-course excursion...to issaquah. i have no explanation.
2. as noted here, i did everything wrong before and during the cap peak mega fatass. yet just a week later...
3. ...came the best running day ever.
4. gorge waterfalls affected me for...well, pretty much all of 2016. the training was a significant endeavor; the event itself was the most difficult ground i've ever covered (literally and figuratively). and the recovery took longer than i ever imagined. what a ride.
5. soaring eagle was the first attempt to get myself back in the game.
6. the teanaway marathon was a hilariously hot step toward feeling sort of normal (as well as prepping for the white river 50-miler).
7. the taylor mountain 50k was muddy. very muddy.
9. i jumped into the inaugural running of the paradise valley half marathon just to pin on a bib and remind myself what it felt like to enjoy running. it worked.
10. the run the bluff 10k is held in our neighborhood, which means it's kind of mandatory. it's also great fun to try running fast on legs trained to run long. pleasant surprise: within certain parameters, i can do both!
11. grand ridge half marathon: see #9.
|photo by glenn tachiyama.|
the 25k this year was definitely not a slog. in fact, it was fantastic.
there are things i would've done differently this year, preparation-wise. i ran more miles than ever, but my mental game was, uh, not as rigorous. i was fortunate to learn much about this subject from friends. it can be summed up in three words: keep moving forward.
as a matter of 2016 record-keeping...
deception pass 25k
3/19 (m 50-59)
shoes: altra lone peak 3.0
song stuck in my head the entire time: "my traveling star" ~ james taylor
Monday, December 12, 2016
i'm in the miwok lottery.
it's a western states qualifier, and friends report it's a fun, gorgeous course.
the actual lottery is tomorrow, and results are posted monday morning...hope!
monday, dec. 12:
i'm now oh-for-three on my lottery events for 2017.
damn you, 2016.
moving on to plan C.
pine to palm 100m
i mean, i could wait for 2018. but in the current political climate, would anyone care to bet on 2018 happening at all?
Friday, December 09, 2016
|current calendar status.|
i didn't get in.
today was final permit day for the gorge waterfalls 100k!
i have to drop out.*
time to reconsider...everything.†
what we know:
i'm registered for the orcas island 25k on january 28, and the squamish 50-miler on august 19.
in between and wrapped around those two events is a whole lot of...nothing.
meanwhile, registration has opened for several races on my "plan b" list.
what's sold out? what's still available?? i don't know!
time to hammer together a schedule.
what we're currently considering:
fort ebey marathon — 2/25 (beautiful whidbey island course.)
chuckanut 50k — 3/18 (ack. sold out! i might still get in, tho.)
miwok 100k — 5/6 (lottery. western states qualifier.)
orcas island marathon — 5/13 (orcas island is one of my favorite places to run.)
smith rock ascent — 5/13 (new to me...i've heard great things.)
sun mountain 50k — 5/20 (my first 50k in 2014. one of my favorite ultras.)
western states training camp — 5/27-29 (the next-best thing to running western states?)
teanaway marathon — 6/3 (ran it this year. great venue.)
beacon rock 50k — 6/10 (like gorge, but on the WA side of the river.)
mccall trailrunning classic 40 mile — 7/15 (a good warm-up for squamish.)
and in their own category:
pine to palm 100m — 9/9 (western states qualifier. i've never run 100 miles.)‡
mountain lakes 100m — 9/23 (not a western states qualifier. i've never run 100 miles.)
javelina 100m — 10/28 (western states qualifier. i've never run 100 miles.)
yes, i'm aware some of these events are practically simultaneous. please refer to einstein's theory of general relativity to see how i will run all of them.***********
notes for feet:
* the family and i will be on a plane to hawaii that day.
† running calendar-related. i'm really not smart enough, nor do i have enough time, to contemplate everything.